Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Muffled Music

With the current rate of rapid music production and the constant evolution of the music industry itself the idea of a song getting old is all too familiar. But today as a song that is totally "played out" to me came on my iPod I stopped to think about it. I just had to ask myself. Why don't I like this song anymore? I used to love it. How come it sounds so much different from before? I used to know every beat every note by heart. Why am I so like annoyed that it's even playing right now? It used to get me so pumped. Why do I have to force myself to listen to it right now? I used to break my neck just to hear it or turn it up when ever it was on. It's almost as if once I learn a song and hear it so man times it looses its sound and I no longer hear it so I have to fill the silence with something new.

I love music, it's a major part of my life (like many people), and it's something I'm passionate about. However, There are a number of circumstances where I can't even hear it let alone appreciate it. & trust my hearing is fine. For instance, there are times where I listen to the same song repeatedly to prepare for a performance. Usually I like the song at least a little if I've agreed to dance to it in front of people. But by the time I actually hit the stage as I get down into the choreography the music goes mute. All I actually hear is the first two counts of the beat.. & from that point on I'm going 100% off my rehearsal and my memorization of the rhythm and I'm just adding performance to it. I can feel my self moving and see the crowd reacting but I can't hear the music.

At one point I was very specific about the type of music I was willing to listen to. Thus every genre outside my chosen few were beyond my comprehension of sound. It was almost as if I couldn't hear them either. It wasn't until I made an active decision to venture outside my musical comfort zone that I could actually "hear" different genres of music. Even now that I have expanded my range of what I like in regard to what I listen to I still work on a limited amount of sound waves. If there's some music I don't really know of it's hard for me to hear it. If there's an artist I don't particularly like they too are like automatically muted.

It's strange to me really how my mind and my ears collaborate in my experience with music. With my personal collection of songs even the way I discriminate against the songs that have been on my iPod longer is insane. The tracks that are the newest are the ones I will play the most and by the time there's new music those have become old to me & no longer as interesting. It's as if I'm killing music for myself. I guess I need to go back to the days where a new song wasn't at the tip of my fingers.

I don't want to live the rest of my existence limiting myself to the most recent sound to catch my ear. I think it's take practice but need to put forth more effort into appreciating all music because it's going to be a very important part of my life and truely one fo the most beautiful art forms.



"Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons. You will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Bunches of Love <3
Ronnell ;~]

No comments:

Post a Comment